Friday 3 February 2012

FYP Week 2 - Microcontroller main board (PCB designing and etching)

Ape khabar,

Hope everyone is doing just fine. First of all, Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. May this year of dragon brings more prosperity and happiness to everyone.

This week I am going to discuss on how I designed my PCB for the PIC mainboard. Furthermore, I will also explain on the procedure on how to do the etching process for the PCB board. Hope you enjoy it.....!!  :)

Part 1: PCB Design

Okay, so let me begin, Hmmmm.....I did some PCB designing using the PCB express software where I have downloaded it from the internet for free...hehe. There are many other similar software where you can use to design your PCB layout such as the FreePCB, Eagle, PCBArtist, WinQCad, DipTrace, Altium and etc. I am more familiar with the ExpressPCB because I used it before when I designed my PCB board for my Diploma projects. Therefore, for this Degree project, I will also use the same software as I am already familiar with it. 

What is ExpressPCB

Step 1: Draw Schematics using ExpressSCH

Begin your project by drawing a schematic. While not required, it will save you time when designing your PCB. Drawing a schematic with the ExpressSCH program is as easy as placing the components on the page and wiring the pins together. The schematic can then be linked to your PCB file, so that the PCB knows what needs to be connected together.

Figure 1: ExpressSCH screenshot

Step 2: Design PCB using ExpressPCB

Designing 2 or 4 layer boards using the ExpressPCB program is very simple. Start by inserting the component footprints, then drag them into position. Next, connect the pins by drawing the traces. If you link your schematic file to the PCB, the ExpressPCB program will highlight the pins that should be wired together in blue. 

Figure 2: ExpressPCB screenshot

This is just a brief introduction on the ExpressPCB. So here are my designs for the PIC mainboard..........  ('', )v  

Figure 3:PIC mainboard schematic diagram

Figure 4: Top view of PIC mainboard PCB layout

Figure 5: Back view of PIC mainboard PCB layout

Part 2: Etching process

For the etching process, I did it manually. First I print out the mirror image of the PCB layout to the PCB-Iron- on paper. Then, I iron the PCB-Iron-on paper onto the PC Board and next I soak the PCB into the acid to etch out all the unwanted cooper from the PCB. Below are the steps of the etching process, simply follow this 5 easy steps. :)

 Figure 6: Print out of PCB layout on PCB-Iron-On paper
 Figure 7: Iron the PCB-Iron on paper on the PCB
Figure 8: Soak the PCB into the Ferric Chloride acid for etching purposes

 Figure 9: Clean the excessive marks with thinner

 Figure 10: Finished PCB


There you have it.....! It is half way done...Now that the PCB is almost done...next I will proceed with the board drilling, component placement and soldering of the components. Yeay..!

Don't forget to catch me next week okay! Gonna miss you guys...

Bubye...


()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Quote of the day.....!

The greatest personal limitation is to be found not in the things you want to do and can't, but in the things you've never considered doing 
- Richard Bandler -

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()


p/s: Gong Xi Fa Cai Xian Nian Kuai Le to everyone. Hope this year will be a blast!!



Regards,


Idriah SafrizaBte Idris Chin <3
/* CUTE CURSOR */ Waving Onion Kun /* ticker */